BASP are here to support those in Stroke care through this challenging time. We are working with representative from the 5 Nations to contribute to specific stroke guidance, this group is communicating regularly and meeting online monthly.
COVID-19 vaccine-associated thrombosis and thrombocytopenia
CLICK HERE for details
To preview the questions you will be asked to submit please click here. (updated 29.04.20)
RECOGNITION OF SWALLOW SCREENS AND NGT INSERTIONS AS AGPS
A newly established coalition of organisations, including BASP – The AGP Alliance – is calling on Governments and health services in all four nations of the UK to review and designate the full range of Aerosol Generating Procedures (AGPs) as a matter of urgency. This must happen to ensure that all healthcare professionals are provided with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to improve their safety and the safety of their patients, which is ever more urgent in light of the arrival of the second wave of Covid-19. We are calling for this policy change due to the extensive, robust, scientific evidence that many procedures designated in national guidance across the UK as non-AGPs are in fact AGPs.
Click the links below to see the correspondence
AGP Alliance statement
Press Coverage – HSJ; Daily Mail; The Guardian
Letters to Health Ministers and Boris Johnson
Boris Johnson letter
Minister for Health Scotland
Minister for Health Wales
Minister for Health Northern Ireland
1. What is the risk of stroke in COVID-19 illness or SARS-CoV-2 infection?
2. What are the characteristics and outcomes of stroke associated with COVID-19 illness or SARS-CoV-2 infection?
3. What is the outcome of COVID-19 illness in people with previous stroke disease?
4. What are the potential mechanisms of SARS-CoV-2 associated stroke?
5. What are the broader neurological manifestations of SARS-CoV-2 infection?
6. What are the recommendations for management of acute ischaemic stroke?
7. How did the COVID-19 pandemic affect UK stroke unit care?